Saturday, December 02, 2006

Why Everyone Hates the NBA


Sure, go ahead and celebrate Kobe Bryant's most recent scoring barrage. This time the targets were the almighty Utah Jazz. In dropping 52 points, Bryant nearly out produced the Jazz's previous opponent, the San Antonio Spurs.

Personally, I'm happy for Kobe. I've never really disliked the man, and I'm wholly aware of how great he is, so I have no problems saying that I love watching him. Checkered life outside of the arena? Sure, but who in the NBA doesn't have one. Excluding, of course, A.C. Green.

However, I urge you to watch the highlights from this game again. About two minutes in, take a look at one of his many earth shattering dunks. I'll give you a minute to get to the page, and watch the video.

OK.

In classic "area code" defense, there wasn't a Utah Jazz defender within about 20 minutes of Kobe on this play. He simply catches the ball at the free throw line (not that that area is a central portion of the court on offense), takes a power dribble, two steps, and throws it down. By this point, a couple of defenders have made there way over to the rim (see the picture above). Yet, its clear that they're not really offering up much of a defense here.

Let's get one thing straight. I'm not, by any means, suggesting that Kobe ripped apart the Jazz because they weren't trying to play defense. I don't watch or care enough about the Jazz to make a statement like that. Rather, its plays like these that have people turning off the NBA and turning on the NCAA every day.

All 5 Jazz defenders were on the floor at the time, by the way. Which truly begs the question, how did the best player on the floor (and the league) catch a pass in the middle of the offensive area without a player within arms length of him?

Sadly, I can't answer that question.

No comments: