Tuesday, July 04, 2006

How I Hate You So...Let Me Count The Ways



I hate certain things about the MLB All-Star game. In theory, I should enjoy it as much as I do the NBA All-Star game, but such is not the case. The grouping of the game's best players in one city for a night of fun and festivities. What could possibly, under god's green earth, could be better?

Well, as I've said, in theory, nothing. But, Bud Selig, ever the fuck-up, just won't let some things go.

My first problem with the All-Star game is the most recent change to its format: the fact that it counts. How in the hell did anyone approve this idea? Am I the only one that thinks its ludicrous to allow a player from Tampa to have a stake in what league gets home field advantage in the World Series. Further, what makes you think that player from Tampa cares as much as the player from the White Sox (of which there are no shortage of this year, suprisingly).

What ever happened to letting the team with the best record have home field? Call me crazy, but that's what I thought the regular season was about.

One of Selig's defenses of this change in format was that now the game has meaning, and that is why people will watch it. My question is, why does this game have to count? Yeah, it ended in a tie a few years ago, and that was a problem. But, that could be solved by simply making the rosters a pitcher or two bigger. Making it count? That's what we watch the other 162 games for. Those count. For one night, its ok by me to have a game not count and watch the players have fun.

My second problem: every team needs to be represented in the All-Star game. This year the glaring representation of this problem is Mark Redman. Sporting a record a game over .500 and an era near 6, Redman finds himself a member of the AL All-Stars. If I was Mark, I'd be embarrassed to be selected. He has to know that he doesn't belong. There are others that are being selected because someone has to represent their team, such as Barry Zito. But Zito is at least having a good year, and has had good years in the past. Christ, he was a Cy Young winner at one point. Redman is a career 12 games under 500. A few years ago, Travis Harper of the D-Rays was this guy. Last year, Ken Harvey was the man. Every year there is a guy that sticks out like a sore thumb, and I, for one, feel bad for him. Mark Redman, under no circumstances, should be in Pittsburgh for the All-Star game. He knows it, I know it. I don't care if every other pitcher in the entire American League came down with the plague, I still wouldn't invite him.

My final problem with the game is the selection process. I'm sick and tired of being pissed off at who is left off and put on the teams each year.

Francisco Liriano, league leader in ERA, not on the team. Justin Verlander has the most wins and best era on the best team in baseball, also, not on the team. Ramon Hernandez leads the majors in homers from a catcher, and has twice as many as the AL starter, Ivan Rodriguez. Travis Hafner and Jason Giambi, while both are putting up great numbers this season, are not much better or worse than Ortiz, Konerko and Thome, so I have no problem there. Here's whats wrong---of those first three guys (Liriano, Verlander, and Hernandez), only one will make it. How does that make any sense?

Not to take anything away from Mark Buerhle, but how is his season any better than the two young pitchers listed above, or, for that matter, than Mike Mussina's or Curt Schilling's? In fact, statistically, Buerhle is worse than all 4 pitchers. So, no, I am not accusing Ozzie Guillen of favoritism. Of course not.

Maybe its because I don't follow the National League as much, but I don't have nearly the same amount of problems with their roster. I don't agree with Lo Duca starting behind the plate (if it was up to me Dave Ross, who's not even on the last vote, would start because he's only got 4x the amount of homers that Paulie has). Also, who's dick did Brian Fuentes suck to get on the team? They already have Matt Holliday, so one would assume that the Rockies quota was filled. Apparently not.

Still, I'll watch some of it. But you can rest assured, I won't be happy doing so.

No comments: