Saturday, May 20, 2006

Head on Down to The Garden




Been to Penn Station recently? How about any where near the Garden? Smell that? No, it's not the Knicks. Those fucking losers, fortunately, finished a while ago.

What you're smelling is the stench of the WNBA. That sweet aroma is in the air, so it must be time to tip off again. And the author of this blog couldn't be happier.

Whose up for some mid-60's action? Some regular season leading 18.6 ppg? Twice a week action?

Ooooh weee. Try to hold in your excitement, please.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the league, and how its not only stayed around so long but expanded is simply beyond me. I just can't figure it. First of all, the ticket prices are outstandingly high. Whether its the Indiana Fever or the New York Liberty, a good seat is still going to cost you about 65 bucks. In the Garden, that might not even cut it. They actually have the nerve, the balls, the "chutzpa" as we like to say, to charge $100 for the most expensive seat.

The quality of the league simply isn't very good. We're talking about a league in which the all-time leading scorer has averaged 21 ppg (Cynthia Cooper). We're talking about a league in which the act of dunking is commensurate with the resurrection of Christ. We're talking about a league in which the size and speed of the game being played could be mistaken for lower level high school basketball.

Now, in fairness, I recognize some of the positive aspects of the league.

1. Older men can now keep the majority of their "spending money" given to them by their wives to see a bunch of bouncing boobies.

That's about it. Maybe Keith Hernandez was onto something...(Ed. Note: These views do not reflect the views of Blogger or any of it subsidiaires. Rather, they reflect this author's sexism, biggotry, and ignorance)

No, en serio...The league is good for young girls wanting to get involved in basketball, and I'm sure that it draws well enough. But the fact remains, this isn't good product for the majority of the population. And, let's be real, even if it was. Even if I could find all the numbers and quotes in the world to backup a defense of the WNBA, people like myself would still shoot it down. I like men. And I like basketball. So, I watch the NBA. (Ed. Note: Again, the author's homosexual remarks neither denote his nor Blogger's sexual orientations)

The WNBA actually has a fantasy game starting up this season. I swear. Check it out at WNBA.com, its called the Triple Threat, and you get points for every point, rebound and assist the player you pick for each day. Here's the catch, the site exclaims, you can't pick a player more than once. What a new and wonderful twist!

If your wondering, the answer is yes. I have a team. "Hammond's The Man", for arguably my favorite player Becky Hammon. Oddly enough, she is married to ex-good reliever Chris Hammond. And Cole Hamels. No, no she's not. I do have a team, that part wasn't a joke. But, I'd say I keep it up for this week and that's about it. Keep your eye on Tamika Catchings and Lauren Jackson in games one and two this year.

Gotta run, tickets go on sale in about 28 hours. My car has broken down, so I am forced to skip gleefully to the city to get my Liberty tickets. Wish me luck.

No comments: